Now that it’s safe to say winter has officially made its departure, it’s time to welcome in spring. Spring brings about that sense of new beginnings and a fresh clean slate. It’s the ideal time to take a look at your spring and summer wardrobe so you can organize it and have all your favorite pieces within reach.
As beneficial as spring cleaning can be, it doesn’t tend to be a chore that most people look forward too. To help make the process smoother and faster you’ll want to check out these top hacks to spring organization when it comes to your wardrobe.
Does it Fit?
In order to truly organize your wardrobe, you’re going to want to take a look at each piece on an individual basis. As you hold up each item it’s important to ask if it fits. Keeping things around that are too big or too small just takes up valuable space in your wardrobe and drawers, and also makes it impossible to truly organize.
It may be necessary to try items on as you go through them, because there’s a good chance you haven’t worn them in a while. It will give you a chance to see how it feels and looks. Where this is especially important is with your bathing suits. Not only do they need to fit right, they also need to still be in good condition so that they hold their shape and color.
If you find they don’t fit perfectly, then it’s a great excuse to look around for something more flattering. It doesn’t matter what size you’re looking for, there are a lovely selection of regular and plus size tankinis, one-piece, and even bikini styles available nowadays.
The One-Year Rule
This is a very popular rule when you are cleaning, whether it be your wardrobe, your shoe collection, your makeup stash, and anything else really. It involves one simple question – have you worn the item in the last year? If the answer is no, then there’s a good chance you aren’t going to miss it. Think about it this way, if you get rid of that item you haven’t worn in a year, it gives you space to purchase something you will indeed wear and enjoy.
Do a Little Bit Each Day
The idea of spending a full day going through your wardrobe and organizing all your belongings can be a bit much, and pretty unrealistic. Most people don’t have a full day to commit to organizing their wardrobe. With that said you may want to spread it out over a few days. Commit to set amount of time each day that you can handle, and stick with it until the task is finished.
Get Creative with Storage Solutions
While a big part of spring cleaning involves purging and getting rid of items you don’t want, another aspect is coming up with a way to store your clothes that make them easily accessible. Reaching for a favorite t-shirt shouldn’t feel like a game of Jenga where you are just waiting for a stack of clothing to fall on you. There are some wonderful storage solutions that are easy to install and use, making organization simple.
Some of the most popular storage solutions are:
- Under the bed storage boxes, which are made to fit under standard sized beds. These are excellent for storing clothing that is out-of-season such as sweaters.
- Shoe racks or cubbies can help get all the clutter off the floor and create a lot more space.
- Decorative bins and storage boxes are a wonderful way to make use of that space above the top rack in your closet. Typically, this space isn’t usable because it’s so high, but by using bins or boxes you can store all kinds of items without them tumbling over.
- Instead of just one rod in your closet you can install a second rod a little lower. This will give you double the space for hanging items.
- A closet organizer system is ideal if you have a bit more in the budget to spend. Most of these systems are customizable so that you can pick what works best for your needs.
Bring Order Back to Your Wardrobe
By using these simple tips you’ll be able to bring order back to your wardrobe and start spring with a fresh clean slate. And of course, by making all this extra room, you’ll be giving yourself a little space for some spring shopping!